AAAS Community Mission and Vision Statement
The mission of AAAS Community is to enhance communication among AAAS Members in order to advance STEM throughout the world for the benefit of all people. By providing a safe, inclusive forum where anyone with an interest in science can collaborate; engage in discourse; network; and share events and resources, AAAS Community offers AAAS Members a place where “Science Gets Social.” Our responsibility is to foster good discussion for AAAS Members to join with other members to discuss science and other related topics. Our vision is for AAAS Community to become the premier network for scientists and non-scientists alike to connect and share ideas.
If you ever wish to give us feedback on AAAS Community, visit our feedback page.
Terms and Conditions
Effective: July 6, 2020
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions, shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our MemberCentral Support via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact MemberCentral Support. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violates these rules.
We reserve the right to modify these Terms whenever necessary. If we make changes, we will post the updated Terms online and update the Effective Date above. We may also notify you either by (1) sending an email to the address associated with your Account or (2) by otherwise providing notice through our online member forum. Your continued access or use of AAAS Community on or after the Effective Date of the revised Terms, shall be deemed an acceptance of the modification(s). If you do not agree to the revised Terms, you must stop accessing AAAS Community.
- Hate speech in any form is not permitted on AAAS Community. Hate speech is anything that attacks, harms or offensively generalizes a group of people or population, based on what are known as their protected characteristics — which are race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender, gender identity, or serious disability or disease. We’re committed to removing hate speech any time we become aware of it and encourage AAAS Members to mark comments or posts that contain hate speech as inappropriate as soon as they see it, so staff can review and take appropriate action.
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them, in order to provide a safe space for others to share their ideas. Remember, this platform is a forum to consider and debate science-relevant viewpoints in an orderly, respectful and fair manner. We encourage engagement and friendly discourse but do not condone disrespectful or seemingly offensive language and/or images. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Respect the purpose of the community, which is to foster dialogue and the exchange of ideas. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions and goals.
- Remember, inappropriate* posts or comments may be moved, edited or deleted by AAAS Community moderators, at our sole discretion. Inappropriate posts can also be flagged by other users at any time and then investigated by AAAS Community moderators. Inappropriate posts can include anything that may be viewed as defamatory, libelous, antagonistic, off-topic, or even be considered an invasion of privacy or violation of the rights of another user, person or party.
- AAAS prohibits any form of harassment, sexual or otherwise. This includes speech or behavior that is not welcome or that is determined to be a personal attack, whether it is based on ethnicity, gender, religion, age, body size, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other reason. It includes stalking and unwelcome attention**. Report harassment here.***
- Do not use the community to advertise faculty positions or solicit business for a product or service that you provide. If your experience with a third-party product or service may benefit the discussion or community, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way. Be cautious to remember that information posted on your profile, in the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all AAAS Members to see, and comments are subject to defamation and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, illegal or materials that do not align with the AAAS Community Mission and Vision are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Do not wrongfully represent yourself; for example, by claiming certain qualifications or degrees that you have not obtained. If you are found to be wrongfully representing yourself, you will be warned or potentially banned from the AAAS Community. Do not impersonate, speak for, or claim to represent another user, person, or party. In other words, do not post on the behalf of someone else.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- Remember, if your personal email is published in your profile or signature on AAAS Community, you may receive emails from others in the forum who view it.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
- Do not disrupt healthy, productive discussion. This means do: stay on topic, state your question or statement once and then move on. This means do not: repeat your question or statement in a combative manner, post comments unrelated to the topic or interrupt the discussion’s flow.
- While anonymous commenting is permitted on AAAS Community, the function exists to protect a person’s identity when asking questions or obtaining information. The anonymous function will not protect commenters from being held accountable to the AAAS Community Terms and Conditions. AAAS Staff can see the identity of anonymous commenters and may screen or completely delete these kinds of posts at our discretion.
- Please note, there may be monitoring or moderation that happens behind the scenes on AAAS Community. AAAS Staff may reach out to a member one-on-one through private messaging or place the member on moderation if an issue is brought to staff’s attention. Report issues here.
*Inappropriate: can include anything that may be viewed as defamatory, libelous, antagonistic, off-topic, or even be considered an invasion of privacy or violation of the rights of another user, person or party.
**Unwelcome attention: any communication that continues after the recipient has asked you to stop.
***Harassment: conduct which annoys, threatens, intimidates, alarms, or puts a person in fear of their safety.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject. If your post does not have a concise or clear subject, you may be advised by an AAAS community moderator to update the subject before it can be posted. Do not include another member’s name in your subject line.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply Privately" link in every message. To access it, click on the downward arrow next to the “REPLY” button and a drop-down menu will appear.
- Refrain from sending administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings. For tips on how to change your settings, visit our FAQ or Contact Us.
- We encourage members to utilize the "Recommend" button as this is a collective way for members to endorse a post to others.
- Is it okay to post on old threads on AAAS Community? Yes! This type of commenting, sometimes known as “necroposting”, refers to commenting or replying on a thread that has been inactive for some time. Adding to an older thread with information that no one else has mentioned, and especially if the topic is still relevant or unresolved, may help spark new discussion and “breathe” new life into an important discussion!
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. American Association for the Advancement of Science is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the American Association for the Advancement of Science or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchant ability and fitness. In no event shall American Association for the Advancement of Science be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the American Association for the Advancement of Science and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
American Association for the Advancement of Science is not responsible for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, we will take all appropriate action.
American Association for the Advancement of Science reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site:
Our Service Providers
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page.